Four Ideas for Teaching Scripture to Your Baby or Toddler

Teaching Scripture to your children is a huge part of raising your little ones in a Christian home. When we hide God’s Word in our hearts, it accomplishes the purpose for which it was sent! {Isaiah 55}

scripturetoddler
When we first began doing devotions with our children, we wanted to make sure we included every member of the family, down to whoever was the baby at the time :) But sometimes the baby would be in bed or fussy and it just wouldn’t happen! So I got to thinking that maybe there were some other ways that I could teach Scripture with this sweet little one.

Obviously, a really small child won’t be able to repeat the verses back to you right away but it definitely plants the seed of faith! These are four things we’ve done so far to “teach” Scripture to the smallest members of the family.

Read Scripture to Your Baby in the Bathtub

A sweet friend actually gave me the idea to read Bible verses to my baby/toddler during bath-time and it really works {as long as your baby loves the water, anyway!}. Lately, while J {13 months} has been splashing around in the tub, we’ve been reading through the Psalms! The other kids like to stop by and listen too :)

Listen to Scripture Set to Music

We love listening to music in our house! Christian and classical music stations on Pandora are typically playing in the background throughout the day. We also love Scripture that is set to music. Some of the CDs we love are Praise Baby {God of Wonders is our fave}, Hide ‘Em in Your Heart and Songs for Saplings. J’s eyes honestly light up when we put it on!

Display Bible Verses Where Your Baby Spends Lots of Time

For the first few months of their lives, our three children spent lots of time on the changing table, so we have made a habit of hanging Scripture verses above said changing table :) We read them while we are doing the diaper change. Later, when the kids are older, Bible verses get hung on the walls of their bedroom and we read them at night.

Maybe your baby spends lots of time in the playroom or living room–wherever it is, put up some Scripture and read it out loud to your little one!

Read Books with Bible Stories and Scripture

I’m sure this is something most of you do already, but I just wanted to share a couple of the books we like to read to the youngest in our house. What’s so fun to watch is when the older ones read to the baby!

My ABC Bible/ABC Prayers – We got this book as a gift when our first child was born. One side  has cute little pictures and rhyming Bible stories. Flip it over and there are ABC prayers, also with sweet illustrations.

What is God Like? – After we received the Many Colored Blessings book {which we read to all three of our babies}, we looked for some of the other Little Blessings books and found What is God Like. It’s a super sweet book, illustrated by the same woman who created the Care Bears!

What we like about it is that it has Scripture put to rhyme {there’s a whole series} and at the end of the book, it gives the Scripture references for each page as well as the full Bible verse. This book is really great for kids 18 months and up, in my opinion!

How do you teach or share Scripture with the littlest ones in your home?

The following two tabs change content below.

Jenn

Blogger/ Author at The Purposeful Mom
Hi, I'm Jenn! I'm happily married to my college sweetheart, mother to four wonderfully spunky children and a woman who needs a whole lot of Jesus! I spend most of my time taking care of my home and family, reading good books, blogging and dreaming up ways that I can finally have a perfectly organized home--ha!

Comments

1. Bonnie says

Great post, Jen! Creative ideas for teaching Scripture to our little ones. Thank you for sharing. <3

2. Ruth says

H Jenn, I’m a first time visitor to your blog and found many of your posts helpful. I really like these ideas you shared on teaching scriptures to babies/toddlers. I like the idea of reading the Word during bath time, I’m going to try that out (though bath is usually my son’s water play time).

3. Marissa D says

Thanks for the book recommendation, I’m always searching for great books for my little guys that incorporate God’s word. It is not an easy task.

Marissa @ forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

4. Gina says

Great ideas! I love you post, every post at that! Thanks I’ve been looking for ways to interest my three year old:))

5. MB@NewLifeSteward says

That’s a great idea of reading Scripture while they are in the bathtub. I’m usually just sitting there watching him play!

Mary Beth
    newlifesteward.com

6. Tracey M. says

Thank you for this RICH post!! I am always thinking of various ways we can teach the Word to our son as a family. These links are great, the books and music are wonderful resources. I checked Spotify and can’t BELIEVE how much music is there are scripture verses, I now have a Scripture Music playlist we’ll be playing all day!!!

7. The Old-Fashioned Housewife says

This is great, thanks! I had the delight of overhearing my just turned 2 year old daughter saying “ejsus, eejsus” as she flipped through her bible story book the other day. Delighted my heart. :)

8. Blessed Mommy says

Love your post! I’m a first time visitor from WLWW link up. I always wonder how I should do this with my 18 month old. She barely even lets me read to her right now. Love the idea of posting verses where they are. I do that for myself, so why wouldn’t I do that for my children? Love these ideas!

9. Blessed Mommy says

Love this post! I’m visiting from WLWW link up. Love the idea of hanging verses where the children are. I’ve wondered how to share verses with my 18 month old. I hang verses around the house, and I love this idea. We have Ephesians 6:1 hanging in the dining room,and my 5 yo loves to recite it.

10. Leigh Ann @ Intentional By Grace says

Love the Praise Baby CDs. Great ideas! I recently read a book called Together Growing Appetites for God by Carrie Ward. She explained how she struggled with “quiet time” as a mom of toddlers. So she decided to read through the Bible with her children (infants and on) at the breakfast table. We’ve implemented this into our morning routine. My son is 18 months old, and at the very least, he recognizes “By-buhhl” {Bible} and when asked who talks to us in the Bible, he can say, “Gahhh” {God}. It’s quite cute, and I can read through the Bible with him. So glad to see other mamas doing similar things! :)

• Jenn says

I love the idea of reading through the Bible at breakfast! That would be so good for me too, serving as my “quiet time” with the Lord before the day even starts. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and share what you’ve done with your kiddos.

11. Tracy B. says

What great ideas! I often feel as though I’m trying to keep our littler two quiet during Bible time, and feel like they are missing out. I love these ideas!

12. Summer Nicole says

Just saw this post and will DEFINITELY be using some of these ideas! I have a 7 month old and want to instill a love for God and His Word in her, but knowing how to do that when she’s so itty bitty has been hard. Thanks!

• Jenn says

Awesome, so glad you can use the ideas! It’s definitely profitable to share Scripture with our kids even when they’re really little!