Homemade Christmas Gift: Pumpkin Pie Spice Sugar Scrub

I can’t claim to be a big DIY gal–in fact, I love to bookmark page after page of ideas but many times I don’t get around to doing them!

But with Christmas quickly approaching, I need to make some of these ideas a reality as I think about some frugal and fun gifts for the people in my life.

So here we are: Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Sugar Scrub! This is a really sweet gift for Sunday School or school teachers, hostesses and babysitters or as a little something extra to include in a larger gift. Here’s my take on what I first saw at Under the Table and Dreaming.

Pumpkin Pie Spice Sugar Scrub
{hand or body scrub}

2 Cups Brown Sugar
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup Vegetable Oil

Mix together the granulated and brown sugars and pumpkin pie spice until there are no lumps.

Add the oil and stir until fully combined. I increased the spice amount from the original recipe.

Don’t be afraid to test a little on yourself! Rub it into your hands and give it a sniff to see if the pie spice scent is to your liking. After you wash it off you’ll be able to tell if it needs a little more oil too, adding just a bit at a time. The original recipe called for 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. oil but I thought that detracted from the pumpkin pie scent, so I used less.

Use a funnel to fill small canning jars with the scrub or just scoop it in with a spoon (what I had to do when I {ahem} couldn’t find my funnel. You can use a jar lid that has been previously used in canning–a great way to “recycle” them! Twist the jar lid on with a nice looking jar ring and tie a little ribbon around the top to dress it up a little!

I also used the labels at Under the Table and Dreaming and attached them to the top of the jars with tacky glue. Super easy and fun–and who doesn’t like to pamper themselves a little?

{By the way, you should save a bit for yourself!} Enjoy!

Shared at:

Growing Home

Photobucket

The following two tabs change content below.

Jenn

Blogger/ Author at The Purposeful Mom
Hi, I'm Jenn! I'm happily married to my college sweetheart, mother to four wonderfully spunky children and a woman who needs a whole lot of Jesus! I spend most of my time taking care of my home and family, reading good books, blogging and dreaming up ways that I can finally have a perfectly organized home--ha!

Comments

1. says

This looks divine! I must try this!!! My hands already feel softer :-) Thank you so much for stopping by. I’m glad you have a new use for the scrapbooking paper.

• says

No, I’m sorry I don’t have the template. I tried downloading it again and you’re right, it doesn’t work! You could make some labels in Microsoft Word or put some fabric over the top of the jar and attach a homemade tag that says what it is if you need an idea!

2. says

I made this tonight, and it smells, and feels amazing! Thank you for the great ideas! I found that this made enough to fill 4 half pint jars, and with total cost including fabric, time, and tags, I think I can get these down to about 1.50-2.00 each. You can’t honestly beat that for a homemade gift. I tried it out on my whole family, and they were in heaven with getting a hand scrub. :)

3. says

This stuff was amazing. Thank you for the awesome idea. I had to be careful not to pin it so that my friends won’t know what they are getting. This size batch fills approx. 4 half pint mason jars, or jelly jars, so with all the supplies including tag, and fabric, I think I figured out they cost approx. 2.00 each. You can’t beat that at all. My whole family got to be my guinea pigs tonight, and they all love how their hands feel. Even the husband enjoyed a sugar scrub massage. Thank you so much!

4. says

Will this work the same if I use store bought pumpkin pie spice? That’s what I have on hand. Or does it work better with the homemade?

• says

I would be hesitant to use coconut oil because it will likely affect the smell of the scrub. I believe that’s why the original recipe I found encouraged using grapeseed oil or vegetable oil. Coconut oil as you know solidifies at room temperature so I don’t know if that would be so great for the scrub, but you can try a small recipe and check to see how you like it!

• says

Hi Cortney,

I’m not sure how long this will last. It should be good for several months, but you can always keep it in the fridge to be sure :)

Trackbacks